We installed removable bed panels from Overlandsprinters.com.
Initially we were going to build a DIY bed but Overland Sprinters came out with a cheap, sturdy bed platform kit. Two rolled steel rails and three aluminum panel frames. You add your own plywood facing to the panel frames. This keeps the cost down to about 1/3 the cost of the RB Components alternative.
That means we now have removable bed panels above the storage area at the rear of the van. They sit on rails mounted to the walls. The mattress and bedding go on top of the panels. During the winter we add a 12 Volt mattress heating pad.
When we want to use the van to carry larger items or on biking day trips, we just take the bed panels out so we have full height access to the entire rear area.
Sleeping area news
- Step ladder for our platform bed
- Foam pipe insulation for bed-to-head protection
- Choosing between a high roof and a pop-top van
- There’s nothing “Stealth” about camping in a Sprinter
- Cutting bed mattress foam to size
- 12v electric mattress pad for cheap overnight heating
- Emergency access to rear door handle from platform bed
- Bed area storage solutions
- Bed panel redesign
- Finding space for a bed in a bike hauling van
- Bed panels have arrived!